Collagen may help improve the health and appearance of your skin, hair, and nails. Here’s what the science says and how to add collagen to your routine.
Collagen protein is found in your soft tissues, cartilage, and joints. It provides structure and cushioning to these areas. Supplementing with collagen can help strengthen these structures, as well as improve the appearance of your hair, skin, and nails. You can also add collagen to meal replacement shakes for weight loss.
This article reviews the benefits of collagen supplementation and goes over some ways you can add collagen to your routine.
Benefits of collagen supplementation
Collagen supplementation has numerous benefits. Here are just a few:
- Hair: One study found that a supplement containing collagen, keratin, biotin, vitamin C, and a number of other nutrients significantly reduced hair loss—while improving hair volume, shine, and strength—in women after just 180 days.
- Skin: Two high-quality clinical trials noted that oral collagen supplementation improved skin hydration and collagen density in the skin while decreasing the breakdown of the collagen network in the skin. Some of these results were evident after only four weeks.
- Nails: In a small, 24-week study, researchers found that taking 2.5 grams of collagen daily improved nail growth by 12% and decreased the frequency of broken nails by 42 percent. These researchers also found that 88% of participants continued to experience these improvements in nail strength up to a month after discontinuing collagen use.
- Joints: In one study, researchers found that supplementing with five grams of collagen daily for 12 weeks significantly decreased joint pain in athletes both while they were participating in physical activity and while they were at rest.
- Weight loss: Although research in this area is limited, supplementing with collagen may help preserve muscle and bone mass while you are losing weight by strengthening the collagen networks in these structures. Collagen may also help improve the appearance of sagging or loose skin after weight loss.
How to add collagen to your routine
It’s easy to add collagen to your daily routine. Most collagen comes in powder form, meaning it can easily be added to your favorite drink or smoothie. Simply add a scoop and mix well. Try to choose a hydrolyzed collagen product—hydrolyzed collagen is broken down into very small particles, which makes it both easier to mix and easier for your body to absorb.
If you’re looking for ideas for keto snacks or low-carb snacks, try making keto coffee with collagen, MCT oil, and your favorite creamer—like half and half, heavy cream, or an almond milk creamer.
High-quality collagen products are also gluten-free and may contain nutrients like biotin and vitamin C. These two vitamins can help strengthen and improve the appearance of your hair, skin, and nails.
Collagen is great for travel, too. There are many premade mixes available in several flavors, whether you’d like a matcha green tea mix or prefer a chocolate drink.
Are you interested in adding collagen powder to your routine? At Medlixr, we offer paleo- and keto-friendly hydrolyzed collagen sourced from high-quality, grass-fed beef—in chocolate and vanilla flavors. Compare them to SkinnyFit’s collagen peptides! You can learn more about our products and about the benefits of collagen by browsing our website.